[Wine] Re: DC++ problem

magus kent nobody at spamcop.net
Mon Mar 19 00:51:53 CDT 2007

Comments inline:
Daniel Skorka <skorka at gmx.net> wrote in
news:elu4n7$3de$1 at news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de:

> magus kent <nobody at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> People that ask for help in this NG and label themselves as
> linux and/or wine newbies typically share the following
> characteristics:
>
> 1. They are unaware there is a native program that does
> what they want.
  Quite rightly. I'm aware simply since I spent so much time
on my own trying to solve my problems.
2. They tend to blindly follow any howto
> they can find, never mind the wine version it is for, or
> unusual setups the writer used. Which can lead to putting
> the DLLs into ~/.wine/fake_windows even though they first
> had to create that directory.
  Agreed. But that is why there are how-tos.  Trying to find
an answer in an easily digestible form.  With pages not being
updated you have to take what you get.
3. If the howto mentions
> ~/.wine/config, they will try to use it.
  As above
> You labeled yourself as a newbie, yet you balk at being
> considered a newbie.
  I guess there are degrees of being a newbie at anything.
Its hard to really qualify the word 'newbie'.  Would it have
helped if I had said this is about the fourth time I've
dabbled/tried/whatever with Linux?  I see an old redhat distro
in its box sittting on the shelf.  Yanking out another box of
CD's I see Lorma LInux, Linspire, Yopper, Ubuntu, Knoppix,
Simply Mepis.  Pretty boring to write all that info in..makes
me sound like a loser anyway.  Easier to just type in newbie
and go from there. That way everyone can assume a moberate
amount of ignorance.  Seeing as how I'm asking about a
particular program under linux and not what is the "any key"
(big grin). Someone offers to help then go from there.

>> who may deign to answer my plea (sarcasm).
>
> Thank you for this hint. I cannot detect sarcasm if it is
> not clearly labeled as such.
  Neither can I (g)..
>> Second.  The more information, even if not germane, the
>> better.  Different Win versions = different dlls as far as
>> I know.
>
> I assumed that you had a reason for mentioning your Windows
> version. You didn't say the reason, so I asked.
  Not a problem.
>> Finally.  Yes. Outdated.  Please point me to a current
>> How-to
>
> The point is that a method that was correct 2 years ago can
> now be worse than doing nothing. For example, not replacing
> comctl32.dll seems to work better.
  Ok, I'll get rid of the dll I put in and rename the fake dll
which wine put into that directory when it was installed back
to comctl32.dll  (now that sounds confusing).  WHen all the
info you have to go on is two years out of date you have to
use it.  I don't know if its still good or will bork
everything up.  Usenet is current and I rely on the info from
the people nice enough to keep answering the same newbie
questions.  But I prefer to search on my own before bothering
the folks who seem to keep answering the same 'stupid'
questions every day.  I don't have the patience for that I'm
afraid. Thanks for the help (seriously) and the conversation.
Sometimes I have a bad day and snap back instead of just
ignoring things...m