[Wine] Wayward Directories

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Nov 25 14:43:41 CST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007, wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:

> > >     Is there any program that shows this behavior? Is it freely
> > > downloadable? Personally, I have used 10+ Windows program in last few
> > > days with current git and didn't noticed such problem.
> >
> > abcmus is free and is doing this.
>
>         I have tried it and cannot reproduce.
>         Try this:
>
> mv ~/.wine{,.backup}
> wineprefixcreate
> wine setup.exe
> cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/AbcMus2/
> wine abcmus.exe
>
>         Does this help? If yes then there is no bug in WINE.
>         If you still have this problem can you give step-by-step way to
> reproduce it with AbcMus 2.0?

Moveing the .wine and recreating it did solve the directories problem
setup.exe does not work but winecfg does.

Some programs are being run off the windows partitions.
Some were installed in wine specifically.

While some programs run fine, others cannot find stuff like mfc42.dll and such
which should be ubitquitous. Problem is that they look on c:
\\windows\\system32 or such. My windows is would be \\win98\\system... The
only one I have is on the c:\win98\system. These are not found
on .wine/drive_c/windows.

Also orignally, wine used both its own registry and the one on the windows
drive (read only). This was apparently carried over but moving that .wine
took this away. Some registrations were read from here but it probably made
more trouble than this was worth.