[Wine] Wine does not start apps when connected to a Windows network

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Wed Oct 31 13:08:18 CDT 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 23:44:35 Mikołaj Zalewski wrote:
>   You should try to get a stack backtrace of the programs when they are
> hung:
>   - start a program and wait until it hangs
>   - on a different console type "winedbg"
>   - if even winedbg hangs then you have a problem. If not then type
> "info process"
>   - find the process id of the process that is hanging and attach the
> debugger to it: "attach 0x<num>" (the ids in "info process" are in hex
> so that's why the 0x is needed. This is a different thing than the Linux
> pids)
>   - type "info thread" to check how many threads have the program
>   - type "bt 0x<tid>" for each thread of the hanged program (where tid
> is the thread id you have found with info thread)
>   Such a backtrace could give some more details what's happening.
>
> Mikołaj Zalewski

Hello,

I thought the problem had gone away, and since no one else seemed to have the
problem I stopped bothering about it for a while.  Apparently it was just
that some Windows stuff had disappeared from the University network.
Anyway, trying to start 'wine wordpad' yields the following backtrace (only
one thread)

=>1 0xffffe40e (0x7c0d8700)
  2 0x00000001 (0x00000011)
  3 0x00000000 (0x00000000)

Note that the program _does_ start, but after a very, very long time (say 5-10
minutes).

Alexander N. Sørnes