[Wine] Running EQ2 under Wine locks my system... anyone else?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Sep 19 22:15:31 CDT 2007

On Wednesday September 19 2007 08:29, Chris Howe wrote:
> JusTiCe8 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Austin English wrote:
> >> Wine by definition cannot lock up your system unless you are running
> >> it as root. This is most likely due to buggy (read: ATI) drivers.
> >
> > I have nvidia drivers, and sometime, bad thing somewhere lead to a
> > freeze of Xorg, I guess the lock of system is in fact limited to X only,
> > so if you could connect remotely to your host, maybe restarting X could
> > help, or reboot cleanely.
>
> That's true, it could be just X that is dying, I will check
> to see if I can still remote in.

	Personally I see no point to use ssh or telnet just to kill X. I think it is
a lot faster and simplier to press Alt+SysRq+K (this assumes that your kernel
has "SysRq magic key" enabled). At least this is what I do in most such cases
(BTW, X crashes for me very rarery; I'm using NVidia driver).
	Of course if you like to use ssh or telnet then you may prefer remote
access - this mostly depends on personal habits I think...
	If you want to check if your kernel have this feature or not just switch to
Linux console (typically by pressing something like Ctrl+Alt+F1) and press
Alt+SysRq+K - this should kill you current shell (don't worry, this is
harmless action).