[Wine] Re: Winelibs question.....

AndyA wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 15 17:49:01 CDT 2008

Well that's just it. For the time being the gui part of the deal is not a problem, I can run that with wine (normal) and I have no problems.

With respect to the console app, I can try (although it may we a worthless excercise) to get the sockets part working with straight wine. I could even test it with the server on my windows box.

The trouble is that the server and net stub components need to be on the Linux box.

The server component currently runs as a service on windows, although for debug purposes, I can run it from the command line without the windows service manager. That too then would be a candidate for direct usage with normal wine, and would probably work.

The trouble really is the net stub. With that, since it is a CGI binary, it is called possibly as many as a thousand times for each loaded html page. I cant expect to load and dispose of wine each and every time the CGI binary is loaded.

Now I've said that I'm wondering exactly how the wine "binary" might work, but I feel reasonably confident that if the server is already running then loading wine will not be a problem.

What will likely be a problem is making the call from, say, apache. I'd imagine that the CGI spec only caters for the loading of a named binary, and not executing a comand line statement.