[Wine] Primus's mishaps

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Apr 21 17:20:04 CDT 2008

On Monday April 21 2008 11:26:26 Primus wrote:
> jeffz wrote:
> > > 2) The program i wanted to install is now half installed and is
> > > resideng among lost&found. How can I "uninstall" if I never really
> > > installed it in the first place??
> >
> > sounds like you might have a problem with your disk where your filesystem
> > was corrupt if you find things in lost+found
> >
> > if you have a bad disk, it can cause "a lot of problems"
>
> Well yes it is a old disk. But maybe I didn't put it right...
> I don't find them in file Lost&Found but in my K-menu (i use Kubuntu) in
> KDE4 I find the whole wine under lost&found in K-menu (i think that's
> because of the fact that wine and KDE4 don't go along fine) In KDE 3.5.9
> Wine is under wine, but this semi installed program is under lost and
> found...

	It seems that others who is trying to help you in this forum are confusing
lost+found directory with Lost & Found in K-Menu. They serves completely
different purposes. If you see a lot of things in Lost & Found in K-Menu it
has *nothing* to do with you disks or your Linux installation (that means
your Linux installations and disks are probably OK, and most likely no need
to reinstall something or replace disks).
	Personally I have a LOT of things in Lost & Found in K-Menu. But that's OK
for me. I use K-Menu not very often, and personally I don't care about it (if
you care you can sort them out manually using menu editor).

	The Lost & Found in KDE menu is for placing applications that have a category
which doesn't fit into any existing menus.

	lost+found in the root of your file system is for orphaned (corrupted) files.

> BTW: My main disk is 5-8 years old the other is around 5 years old
> (are they too old?)

	Well, this depends on how *really* old they are. You can see this with
smartctl (how many hours you disks worked and what's their current
condition). But in my experience good hard drives can easily work for many
years of real uptime.
	Personally I still have my *very* old hard disks and all of them are still
working (only exception is my 20 MB (yes, this isn't a typo) hard drive - it
was disassembled many years ago and doesn't work anymore after that; but I'm
pretty sure that if it wasn't disassembled in dirty atmosphere in the past it
would be in working condition even today). I do not use hard disks with less
than 100 GB anymore because they are so small and just occupy space in PC
case; however, they are alive and I use some of them for additional backups
and some other specific purposes (like pseudo-mobile HD for example).
	So if your disks are still OK (you can use smartctl to check this), you
havn't any hardware errors in your filesystem and you have no need in
extended memory then you don't need to replace them.