[Wine] No internet connection with Opera and Safari

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Apr 27 18:35:18 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:
> operate wrote:
>
>> You are right, if I use the IP address instead of the domain, they work.
>>
>> I don't know what package you are talking about... I googled and found "ia32 Suite", is this it ?
>>

> Can't find it myself. Debian package maintainer Ove said he will add that as a requirement. Must be slopped through the cracks. Or will be done for 0.9.60.

Since I cannot send a message directly to vitamin:

Wine 0.9.60 is already in release.  Maybe you were referring to 0.9.61?

If the IP address works, and this can be found by opening a terminal
window and inputting:

dig <hostname> where you replace <hostname> with the site name you were
attempting to connect with, example

dig www.cnn.com

results in:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.cnn.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.cnn.com.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.91.22
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.91.23
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.91.24
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.16.20
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.16.52
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.24.12
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.29.120
www.cnn.com.            481     IN      A       64.236.91.21

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
www.cnn.com.            3481    IN      NS      dmtns01.turner.com.
www.cnn.com.            3481    IN      NS      dmtns02.turner.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dmtns02.turner.com.     3147    IN      A       64.236.22.150
dmtns01.turner.com.     3147    IN      A       64.236.29.150

;; Query time: 501 msec
;; SERVER: 68.28.58.92#53(68.28.58.92)
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 27 16:33:04 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 240

on my MacIntosh computer

thus I would place in the address field of Opera:

http://64.236.91.21

and I should connect to cnn.com

Replace with your favorite site and this should work.

Some people use the deprecated nslookup instead of dig.

James McKenzie