[Wine] Re: Getting started developing for Wine.

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 28 17:15:50 CDT 2008

leetleo wrote:
> Hi, I'm a Windows developer and recent Linux convert! The Wine project is very interesting to me, and instead of just waiting around for others to make  improvements, I'd really like to start investigating and making my own fixes to some of my favorite Windows applications so that I can enhance the Wine experience, as well as become more familiar with Linux (and open source) development in general.
>
> With that stated, I was wondering if anybody could direct me to some tutorials or code examples so that I could sorta get a feel for the process of hunting down and correcting compatibility issues for specific applications. Although I am new to Linux, I have strong OO and C/C++ skills and I'm up for the challenge. If anyone could give me a push in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!

Wine is C89 C, there is no C++.

Some people start by debugging issues with the applications that they use, by turning on various wine debug channels http://wiki.winehq.org/DebugChannels and adding additional traces.

If everything you use works fine then there are plenty of bugs in bugzilla http://bugs.winehq.org - pick a bug, try to prove that the problem exists by reproducing it in a standalone testcase or integrating it into the Wine tests -- this lets you see if things pass on windows and fail under Wine.

http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/winedev-guide/testing-wine

If you can do that then it's much easier to reason about how to fix things.