[Wine] Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

Dan Kegel dank06 at kegel.com
Fri Feb 22 18:00:24 CST 2008

Volodymyr Shcherbyna <v_scherbina at mvps.org> wrote:
>>>[many apps use helper device drivers, e.g. RegMon, FileMon, TDIMom]
> > http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/ntoskrnl.exe/ntoskrnl.c
> Unfortunately, that code just do stubs, and it is not actually executed in
> kernel mode.

The current ntoskrnl.c is enough to run a few apps.
It's not intended to run arbitrary NT drivers.

Now, RegMon uses a VxD, and I don't think we're ever planning on
really supporting those.   Wine does ship with nine 'fake' VxD's;
these were added because they were needed by popular apps.
So if you have a particular VxD that's important enough,
we can reimplement it as part of Wine.

I just noticed Microsoft's UMDF (User Mode Driver Framework).
I bet we could support UMDF drivers pretty well if we wanted to.
Have you ever played with that?
- Dan