[Wine] Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 22 18:18:43 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:
>  For example, there is no sane reason in the world that VC++ should
>  always work under Wine, considering the deep knowledge of Windows that
>  is built into VC++.

I don't think that's a good example.  While I agree that
Wine is not designed to run ALL windows software
(it'll never run arbitrary VxD's, for instance), it can and
will run Visual C++.   Visual C++ 6 works quite well modulo
one bug in ole32, and Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 installs and
runs pretty well module two bugs keeping .net 1.1 from installing.
Visual C++ 6 and 2003 will eventually work well enough to make
Windows developers comfortable.  And valgrind will support windows
apps well enough that Windows developers might... actually...
prefer... to develop their Windows apps on Linux sometimes.
- Dan