[Wine] Running XP programs in wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Feb 27 17:53:17 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Just as a general question, if all of this winetricks stuff is
>  required to run so many programs, and I think it is as almost nothing
>  I've ever wanted to run ran fine just installing it, then why isn't
>  whatever winetricks does part of the Wine install process?
>  I continue to feel that Wine handcuffs itself with all of these
>  problems. Just curious and ONLY my view as an end-user type.

winetricks is needed for two kinds of things:

1) to work around bugs in Wine (e.g. gdiplus or msxml3 not good
enough, missing wsh, etc.)

2) to work around bugs in Windows installers (e.g. app forgot to bundle vcrun6)

For #1, the right thing for Wine to do is simply fix the bugs in Wine,
rather than apply a band-aid fix.  This might take a while.

For #2, the right thing to do is probably for Wine to automatically
install a few standard apps that come bundled with the needed runtime libraries.

Feel free to contribute to either effort.
- Dan