[Wine] Wine broke my WindowsXP (can't login)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Feb 28 17:31:41 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:57 PM, helix <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> This is what I meant when I said I have its c: as my /c: (/windows/C is the same)
>  [Image: http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08094/winecfg606.png ]

The easiest way to fix this is to simply remove your ~/.wine directory.
Wine will create a new one that's set up properly.

Is this an option for you?

>  Can anyone please tell me where Wine looks for the path of the system files (some config file supposedly)?

It always looks in C:\windows\system32 etc.
So the real question is, what is C: mapped to?
That's controlled by that interface (which manipulates
a symlink c: in ~/.wine/dosdevices).
But again, easiest thing to do is blow away (or rename)
your .wine directory, and let wine recreate it.
- Dan