[Wine] unimplemented function gdiplus.dll.GdipGetGenericFontFamilySansSerif

Jérôme Gardou jgardou at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 4 17:04:04 CST 2008

Le Friday 04 January 2008 22:59:55 Kevin Horton, vous avez écrit :
> On 4-Jan-08, at 15:31 , L. Rahyen wrote:
> > On Friday January 4 2008 11:55:29 Kevin Horton wrote:
> >> But, I don't think we can say
> >> that the problem when trying to use the native gdiplus is simply a
> >> Windows code bug.  The program apparently works just fine when
> >> running
> >> on Windows, as I cannot find anyone complaining about it on the
> >> various Sirius forums.  So I think we simply have a different problem
> >> when using the native dll.
> >
> > 	This is most likely not a Windows bug but a WINE/UNIX
> > incompatibility. Some
> > Windows DLLs are partially compatible (gdiplus, quartz, comctl32 and
> > others),
> > some are incompatible (dsound, kernel32, and others). "Partially
> > compatible"
> > means that a DLL may work very well most of the time but may crash
> > in some
> > cases and in most cases this isn't a WINE fault.
>
> Are you hinting at differences between Unix and Linux, as Wine is
> likely most tested on Linux?  I tested on Ubuntu 7.10, running inside
> VMWare Fusion on my Mac, and I get the same failure.  So this may be
> an issue on Linux too.   I realize that this could be an artifact of
> running Ubuntu in a virtual machine running on OS X, so possibly the
> root cause is some incompatibility with OS X.
>
> Or are you saying that if Wine doesn't work properly on Unix and
> Linux, it is up to Unix and Linux developers to fix their operating
> systems?
>
> Should I file another bug for the case where I get a failure when
> using a native gdiplus.dll?
> --
> Kevin Horton
> Ottawa, Canada

This nobody's fault !!! :)

I think that the true meaning of this is that windows and unix are different
systems, and thus, thay load dynamic libraries differently. Just think of it
as an englishman going to Australia : he will understand most of what he is
told, but sometimes, there is a word he won't understand.

Think of wine as putting a dll on unix : windows dll will feel like this poor
englishman.