[Wine] Debug data for Wine, DirectX and games.

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 15:23:26 CST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 8:38 PM, Wine Swine <wineswine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there wine list this is not going to be a request for help as much as
> it's a request for how I can help the wine developers.  I've got some
> time over the next couple of weeks and a stack of applications I want to
> see if I can get running under wine.
>
> I thought if I started testing a whole bunch of things I might be able
> to gather some useful test data for the wine developers as a way to get
> familiar with the guts of debugging wine, debug flags etc. So what I'm
> trying to do is get some advice on is what the best way to aggregate the
> data into something that would be most useful for the wine development
> team, apart from submitting bug reports and putting the apps into the
> appdb, to help.

This in and of itself is very helpful.

> I was thinking something like
>
> cat app_wine_debug_outputs | sort | uniq > aggregated_bug_report
>
> to try and establish the most common problems with the things I install.

Probably wouldn't help as much. Many of the things you would get would
be fixme's (which, unless you actually have a problem, aren't a bug,
and you'd get a lot of false positives) or warnings (which again,
would lead to a lot of false positives).

If you've got spare time, one of the best things you could do is help
check up on old bug reports. Here's a link of bugs that haven't been
commented on in 6 months (and have downloads available).

http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Wine&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=download&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Importance&field0-0-0=days_elapsed&type0-0-0=greaterthan&value0-0-0=180&field0-1-0=%255BBug%2Bcreation%255D&type0-1-0=noop&value0-1-0=

Download them, try to reproduce the bug, and report in the bug if it
is fixed/still present. If you encounter new bugs (especially
regressions, e.g., a program used to install, but doesn't anymore,
etc.) file new bugs for them (be sure to check for duplicates first.

If you've got access to retail games, you might try searching for
those games in bugzilla, and verify those bugs. Again, if it's been
fixed, report that. If it's still present, state that too.

Lastly, be sure to post wine version/source, distribution version, and
(if applicable) graphics card/drivers. This information is very
useful.

Thanks for your interest, and looking forward to your help,

-Austin