[Wine] Bug 13517: Forums breaking mailing list

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Wed Jul 2 14:29:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:01 -0400, Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> On 7/2/08, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Zachary Goldberg <zgs at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > > I'm still terribly confused: Whats the problem with the status quo?
> > > Things seem to be running very smoothly...
> > >
> > > -Zach
> > >

> > Many forum users are forgetting to quote, editing their posts,etc.
>  Can't we disable post editing on the BB?  If people forget quotes I
> dont think much harm is done.  Theres always a little bit lost in
> translation.

Great harm is done:  Context is 100% lost, especially since the forum
breaks threading.

> > Mailing list users are changing e-mail subjects, breaking threads.
> >
> That breaks email threads too -- so thats a user consciously doing
> something wrong.  Not our issue.

You might want to look into how threading works.  It is not determined
by the subject line in the slightest.  You can have a thread with each
message having a COMPLETELY different subject, or no subject at all.

> None of this sounds like a big enough issue to warrant any change.
> Maybe minor tweaking if some people are agitated but I doubt even that
> thats the case.

Read the archives.  We are losing experienced people over this problem,
and WineHQ seems unwilling or unable to do anything to fix it within the
existing software.

Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca