[Wine] VNC 'fix' for 256 colour game only shows 2 colours?

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun Jul 6 11:33:46 CDT 2008

IBBoard wrote:
> I'm trying to run an old (~1995) Windows game under Wine, but it requires 256 colours and won't work any higher. I've checked out the 256 colour hacks page and the X methods don't work, because I use the FGLRX drivers and they don't support 8bpp, so I'm trying VNC.
>
> I've installed vnc-server and vnc so I can play it through a 256 colour VNC connection, but so far I can get the game to run but only in two colours. Other apps I start in VNC (e.g. Eye of Gnome) do show in 256 colours, it's just the 256 colour game that shows in 2 colours.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting a mono-coloured game?

Most likely VNC can't handle custom color maps. What VNC calls 256-color
is probably equivalent to a 3/3/2 TrueColor (or DirectColor) visual. But
a 256-color Windows game expects something equivalent to a 8-bit
PseudoColor visual, which unlike a TrueColor visual, uses customizable
color maps/palettes.