[Wine] Dreamweaver CS3 and Wine 1.1.1

dAnIK SeNT dsent at mail.ru
Sat Jul 12 10:06:17 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 15:06:42 jame86 wrote:
> I took the plunge and got rid of my windows machine (well I have a separate
> HDD with XP, that I use in a "trayless tray" when needed!), and turned to
> Ubuntu.
>
> I had seen things todo with wine before, and as such tried it out quite
> quickly with Dreamweaver CS3.  As I cant be without that one for long (not
> that I cant write the scripts!).
>
> I was happy to see thismornings Wine update, pitty it broke dreamweaver!
>
> It caused DW to only run once per "boot of ubuntu", and when it did the
> screen mapping was off, so much that the title and status bars were off the
> screen.  I tried to roll back wine, but didnt get very far.  So removed
> wine, and reinstalled it (latest) along with DW, and now all seams fine.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Damingo

Updating to new wine version is always a bit dangerous, particularly in case
you update an existing wine prefix. Even if there are no obvious regressions
in new version (that is unlikely, to be honest :-)), there are always changes
in data layout within wine prefix which breaks installed programs much more
often that anyone might want. So, there is a serious reason for NOT using
your distribution's wine version from repository to run mission-critical
applications.
I follow simple rule: one application - one dedicated wine prefix and one
dedicated wine version, all contained in single directory, stable and tested.
So brand new Wine from package repository cannot break my applications every
second time I update it. About 60-80 Mb overhead for each program is not that
high price for stability.

It's really not that difficult:

0. To avoid errors I strongly recommend to _delete_ your system wine package
and move your existing .wine prefix to some safe place. It could save you
some time and nerves :-)

1. Download any wine version that run your application pretty good here:
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

2. Unpack it. You will need some archiver that supports .deb and .lzma.
Alternatively, you can probably use dpkg with '--unpack' option to
unpack .deb package to custom location, but I don't know how to do it
exactly, because I hate deb-based distributions like Ubuntu ))) 'man dpkg'
will surely help.

3. Now we need to tell the system to use our custom version of Wine instead of
installed via package manager (that probably don't exists already, if you've
followed my advice #0. If not, I suggest to reconsider now, before you
seamlessly break something :-)). There are some environment variables that we
need to set.

For example, if you've placed your unpacked Wine
to '/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1', the main executable will be placed
at '/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1/usr/bin' directory.
The following commands will do what we need:
  $ export PATH="/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1/usr/bin":$PATH
  $ export WINELOADER="/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1/usr/bin/wine"

Note this command will only work in the scope of you current bash session -
until you close console window (or within a single bash script). So you have
to do everything from now on up until the end of my micro "manual" in the
current console window.

4. We have to set one another important variable - WINEPREFIX to make wine use
specified directory instead of standard ~/.wine for our application. That
will do perfectly:
  $ export WINEPREFIX="/home/user/wine/apps/MyApplication"

5. So, we are ready to create a "bottle" for our little app:
  $ wineprefixcreate
  $ winecfg
Configure your new prefix as you wish. Use
  $ winetricks
to install any additional library needed by your application.

6. Install application into you prefix by issuing
  $ wine "/path/to/your/setup.exe"

7. To start installed application you can now use script like this:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH="/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1/usr/bin":$PATH
export WINELOADER="/home/user/wine/wine-1.1.1/usr/bin/wine"
export WINEPREFIX="/home/user/wine/apps/MyApplication"
cd "/home/user/wine/apps/MyApplication/drive_c/Program Files/PathToAppFolder"
wine "Application.exe"

Save all preceding lines to text file, name it like "Start_MyApplication.sh"
and don't forget to set executable bit in file properties.

8. Now you run your application via double click on Start_MyApplication.sh and
you will not depend in any way on stability and "regression-freeness" of
current wine version (that you still can use for testing without any
restrictions).

--
Best regards,
Sentiabov Danila aka dAnIK SeNT