[Wine] Running Wine on Win64

Gert van den Berg gert at mohag.net
Sat Jul 19 15:50:31 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM, vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Gert van den Berg wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm wondering if it would be possible to run Wine on Win64 ("x64") to
>> allow Win16 apps to be run?
>
> No Wine does not emulate CPU nor the low-level system. If OS can not run such programs because it can't setup the proper environment (segments, descriptors, etc) then Wine won't help there.

I'm wondering if Wine supports Win16 under Linux x86-64 (even if Wine
is compiled 32-bit, if it works the basic infrastructure exists, at
least in the CPU)

Long mode (the 64-bit mode) has a "compatibility mode" that supports
32-bit and 16-bit code (I have no idea if it is real/protected mode
16-bit code...) which should be able to run the code. (See page 7
here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24592.pdf
) It seems that the only reason Win64 does not run Win16 / DOS program
is the lack of a updated version of NTVDM and WOW.

> Gert van den Berg wrote:
>>
>> Regular Windows releases of the DirectX 10 DLL's might significantly
>> increase testing and / or development as well...
>

> I'm not sure what are you trying to say hare? That you want to run native DX on top of Wine? Or native DX10 in XP? Neither is possible.

OpenGL based DirectX 10 under XP, as under Wine. Even easy to get
OpenGL based DirectX 9 builds should be useful for people running
Windows under Virtualization.

As refered to here in the FAQ:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-530da6f64d194f2b403411016ab937e60d3c2c1c