[Wine] autocad 2008 and wine

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 10:11:04 CDT 2008

2008/6/21 miciomax <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> Linux will NEVER have a native autocad version, at least as long as 90% of users use Windows.
> Autodesk made 3 important choices that made impossible to port his products to Linux with a manageable (I.E. rentable...) effort :
> 1) Hard usage of MFC
> 2) (totally unneeded) usage of .NET
> 3) (absolutely unneeded) usage of DIRECTX
> Porting Autocad natively to Linux would mean drop about 10 years of development and restart with a portable toolkit, which could be QT, GTK or whathever.
> Do you really think they'd ever think to do such a job for less than 10% potential users ?
> The ONLY viable way for us to have autocad is through wine.
> Better would be to have a (big) team of developers and make an opensource alternative... but all what have been tryed in past years aborted miserabily.
> Max

You and I do not know when the next clean-sheet version of AutoCAD
will be designed. Even if it is in 10 year's time, let that be after
10 years of people asking for a Linux version. It takes literally
three minutes to write to them to express your interest, and it could
save future engineers (yourself and I included) lots of headaches. If
we don't speak up, then the next version of AutoCAD just might not
work with wine, and then what will you do? Buy Windows?

Dotan Cohen

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?