[Wine] CodeWeavers released CrossOver Games today!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:58:22 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:

>  On Tuesday 25 March 2008 11:52:41 am Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM, twickline <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
>  wrote:
>  > > An Introduction CrossOver Games
>  > >
>  > >  CrossOver Games is a commercial variant of Wine released by CodeWeavers
>  > > with support for many of today's most popular games. CrossOver Games is
>  > > tested for performance and stability with many games such as Guild Wars,
>  > > Eve Online, and Steam games like Half-Life 2 and Portal.
>  > >
>  > >  Link: Full Article
>  > > (http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/07/introduction-to-crossover-games.
>  > >html)
>  >
>  > Interesting and reasonably priced, but I'm not clear what's the
>  > difference from standard Wine or Transgaming's Cedega?
>
>  I'm not entirely clear on the difference between Wine and Crossover Games in
>  this case.
>
>  However, my understanding is Transgaming has been rather negligent in holding
>  up their promise to kick patches back to the Wine project, as I understand
>  it.  It's been a while since I've dealt with Transgaming at all; between that
>  and their customer billing support being so poor, my time as a Cedega
>  customer/user was very short lived to say the least.  I'm a little surprised
>  to discover they're still around three years later; from dealing with
>  Transgaming, I got the impression they were a fly-by-night operation.
>
>  - --
>  Paul Johnson

It's sort of funny Paul that we have the same story. I got started
with both Codeweavers & Transgaming a couple of years ago. When I left
Silicon Valley to start a second career I stopped needing Crossover
Office but as someone trying to get his kid to use Linux I got a
Cedega subscription and paid $5/month for a few years until that
credit card needed to be updated due to the card's expiration date.
When I tried to resubscribe I found their system didn't work and I
couldn't. I sent an email to Transgaming about the problems and never
heard back so I no longer subscribe.

I like the folks at Codeweavers even if they have, in the past, been a
little bit tough on me for being a Gentoo user. I'd still like to
support them and the project. As long as I can use the new gaming
version it seems like a good enough way to spend what little fun money
I have these days.

Cheers,
Mark