[Wine] Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Mar 25 18:42:31 CDT 2008

On Tuesday March 25 2008 22:45:11 oiaohm wrote:
> By the way not one person has come up with 1 valid reason to run as root.

	Somewhere in the thread Austin mention at least one valid reason to run as
root:

Austin English wrote:
> Some wine functions require root access, ICMP ping for instance.

	Personally I run WINE as a user (of course). But in my practice there was few
cases where I ran it as root, for example, in order to update firmware of my
ASUS DVD drive (by running a Windows program which uses ASPI).
	So this is true: most users don't need (and shouldn't) run WINE as root. But
*sometimes* there good technical reasons to do so: for example, it is
necessary to run WINE as root in order to play in multiuser games with IPX
protocol. But running WINE as root without good reasons is very bad idea.