[Wine] wine newbie has trouble with T_LOVE95.EXE

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Mar 27 09:03:42 CDT 2008

I'm new to wine; I'm having trouble running this game, which has been
reported to work previously, in the test result
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4050,
with wine 0.9.24 under Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy".

I'm running Debian lenny which has wine-0.9.44.

Now I'm enough of a newbie with wine that I presume I'm using wine
improperly (but not sure) and don't know whether this is the best place
to ask for help.  Please advise.

(a) what should I try?
(b) where should I ask for help, if not here?
(c) which of these apparent messages are ignorable?

When I try to ruin this classic game, at best, it gets stuck after the
title animation.

METHOD 1:

The above test result says this doesn't work as of 0.9.24.  It doesn't
work for me either, with 0.9.44.

using the command
 wine "c:\\Program Files\\Truelove\\T_LOVE95.EXE"
results in a message box labelled "T_LOVE95" containing the message
"Register information is not correct, please reinstall".
Also, in the shell window I get the messages

hendrik at lovesong:~$ wine "c:\\Program Files\\Truelove\\T_LOVE95.EXE"
Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin c:\Program Files\Truelove\T_LOVE95.EXE ...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:1
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on MPU-401 UART,
disabling mixer
Wine exited with a successful status
hendrik at lovesong:~$

Are these ALSA complaints normal?

METHOD 2

The test result reported that T_LOVE95.EXE works from a windows shell,
specifically litestep. I use what I have available here, which is
winefile.

I try running it from winefile.  I no longer get the message box.
Instead, the program opens a window.  I get a fade-in to a title page,
then an introductory animation, after which the screen goes blank and the
window stops refreshing itself. (If I drag another window over it, pieces
of that other window remain in the dead window.)

In the meantime, the shell window from which I launch winefile shows:

hendrik at lovesong:~$ wine "c:\\Program Files\\Truelove\\T_LOVE95.EXE"
Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin c:\Program Files\Truelove\T_LOVE95.EXE ...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:1
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on MPU-401 UART,
disabling mixer

I can't close the game's window by clicking on the X in the corner. I can
close the winefile windows, but the only way to get my shell prompt back
is with control-C.