[Wine] Bryce 5.5 once ran, before v0.9.56 (tested.)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:31:31 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM, dirkmitt <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Because you guys have made a convincing argument, I did the regression test.
>
>  After installing version 0.9.55 ,  I found that Bryce 5.5 still worked.
>
>  Next, I installed v0.9.56 ,  and found that Bryce 5.5 no longer worked (ie that the GUI error has cropped up.)

Hey, that was fast.

>  Now, as far as traces go, I always recalled, that Bryce 5.5 under WINE did not seem to produce any meaningful output. There were some messages, but they did not lead to a a fatal problem. But, to be sure I copied and pasted the output of Bryce 5.5 under WINE 0.9.56 ,  after which I downgraded back to WINE 0.9.55 so that I have a working version of Bryce, and copied and pasted the output again. Here is the output, from a text file as intermediate storage:
>
>  WINE 0.9.56 :
>
>  fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
>  fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for 8000000a
>  fixme:imm:ImmGetDefaultIMEWnd (0x10024 - (nil) 0x11a290 ): semi-stub

Meaningful output will only come if you build a special version of
Wine-0.9.56 which has the names still in it. then the hex numbers
start turning into function names, etc., and the developer can see
what part of the code is failing.

I'm trying to keep one testing version around on my machine at a given
time. I don't have to 'install' this version. I can just build it and
then run wine from that path instead of your main path. In your case
you *might* want to two versions to see the differences.

It's very easy to do this. Just download a tarball of Wine-0.9.56 from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=77449

then build it using (I think...) these two instructions:

./configure
make depend && make

Do NOT do an install or you will overwrite your main version.

Once done run wine from that location and look at the offending
output. you may have to run it with some extra command line stuff but
we'll talk about that if you need to and want to.

Hope this helps,
Mark