[Wine] Legal issues for bundling Wine with my Application

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri May 2 13:27:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM, asafbenzaken <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  I've recently written some graphic application in windows.
>  i've was successfull in running it under Linux using Wine.
>  I had to add gdiplus.dll to the windows/system32 directory.

Please file a bug for whatever you ran into in gdiplus that made you
need the native DLL.  Perhaps we can fix it.

>  now for my question.
>  Is it legal for me to create a "Bundle" Wine with my application
> and make it work "native like" under linux - and then sell it?

Yes.  Google does this with Picasa (well, they don't sell
it, but that doesn't matter).

>  Meaning that the end user will but a software that will install my
> application while it will run under the Wine platform?
>
>  my question regards legal issues for Wine but mainly for Microsoft.
>  since i'm using gdiplus.dll, arent i'm obligated to pay something to microsoft?

A better path would be to bundle gdiplus.dll with your Windows
app, and then tell people to run the app with Wine-1.0.
You could provide a script that would download Wine 1.0
and install your app in it, say.
- Dan