[Wine] Re: Bringing Vista's Speech Recognition Engine to Linux via Wine

Sam wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 3 23:54:17 CST 2008

Thanks for that post, Susan!

I will get hold of Dragon 10.0 and play around...

My main concern is as a developer not a user though.

My objective is a FOSS GUI running on a FOSS SR-engine.

I can see a path to accomplishing this:
1) pull over a closed source engine
2) create the FOSS GUI for Linux that implements (1), and sends speech-data back to a central database (such as VoxForge)
3) Once this database is suitably populated, we can crank up Sphinx, and we will have everything FOSS.

I feel strongly the Linux community needs a raw SAPI-compliant Speech-Recognition Engine, so it can build a FOSS GUI.  This is the reason I was looking at porting the Vista engine.  I don't know whether the Dragon port exposes a raw API.  I'll contact the maintainer.

Sam