[Wine] Re: Compiling on OS X

uxp wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 18 19:32:02 CST 2008

I've just re-installed OS X, and am trying to get the Vanilla WINE all set up. (I've had issues with Fink and Mac/Darwinports on previous attempts, besides Compiling is fun :) )

When you get these errors, or warnings, basically you _can_ go ahead and do a make depend && make && make install, which will create a working Wine installation, but without some things that you probably want. Long story, it wont work properly.

Basically, do a google search of the libraries, find their source, and then do

Code:
curl -O http://path/to/some/library/
tar [xzvf|xjvf] library-archive.tar[.gz|.bz2]
cd library-directory/

./configure
make
sudo make install

which will install them, and get everything running all dandy. The two Most Important ones to get correct are libpng and libjpeg. If you arent going to be running cameras/scanners then obviously you can omit libphoto2 and libsane.

And as a Side remark, I recommend installing into "/usr/local" you can check that by typing
Code:
./configure --help

 after you untar the archive and look for the "--prefix=PREFIX " output, which will tell you the path that "make install" will follow. If for some reason it doesnt want to go there, then you can configure the installation by
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/