[Wine] Wine crashes, debug info included

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 09:59:36 CDT 2008

vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Oct 23, 2008 7:00 AM [Wine]  Re: Wine crashes, debug info included

>laho wrote:
>> wine is version 0.9.46 and running on ubuntu 8.04 box.
>
>This is really really really old and broken version of Wine. Upgrade to latest version (currently wine-1.1.6).

I don't recommend running development versions of software in production use.  It would be much better to recommend using Wine 1.0.1 and if that does not work, recommend using 1.1.6 with the warning that this is a development version and should not be used for production level work

>laho wrote:
>> First chance exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x6020cd44).
>
>This is NULL pointer dereference. Most of the time meaning that Wine didn't return something applications expected to get back.

A bug needs to be filed if this still exists with Wine 1.0.1 or Wine 1.1.6.

Please attach the terminal output as a file rather than pasting it in the original bug report.

You may also have to recreate the .wine directory using the following:

code run in a terminal or console session after upgrading Wine:

cd
mv .wine{,.backup}
wine notepad
cd <directory of program installer>