[Wine] Re: How can we improve WNE?

man_in_shack wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 8 12:10:21 CDT 2009

austin987 wrote:

> The settings are _not_ as rare as you think. Blah blah blah.
>
> The point is that those settings are useful, blah blah blah.

Yes they are and no they're not. There, answered. I win.

What part of "opinions are too polarised" did you not get?

austin987 wrote:

> We still don't have sane defaults.

So submit patches to fix that!

austin987 wrote:

> Blah blah blah not as quick as you think it's going to be.

Soon enough.

austin987 wrote:

> Blah blah blah
> _NOT_ as deadly as you think. It doesn't lead to data loss, only
> crashes in some programs. Changing some native dlls has the same
> effect.

So make changing the DLLs to native easier too!

austin987 wrote:

> Blah blah blah babysit users for everything.

How many times, we're not! They have the whole registry to screw around with, and they have UsefulRegistryKeys to point them in the right direction.

austin987 wrote:

> Blah blah blah but
> changing graphics settings is _completely_ different. It's not a
> special case, simply because it'll be fixed soon, nor because it can
> crash other applications. Blah blah blah.

When a setting is capable of crashing all but a handful of apps, I don't want to see it easy to set.

Leave this to better people to decide. Patchset belongs on wine-patches/wine-devel.

Blah.