[Wine] Re: Is it possible to install and successfully run httpd-2.2.11?

Shingoshi wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 29 20:53:29 CDT 2009

Would you have appreciated having your right to ask a question to be questioned? How was your original answer intended to help may particular situation? Does anyone really have to explain why they want to do something, when all they've asked is, "Can this be done? Whether you want to admit it or not, YOU started out being confrontational, by asking me to justify my right to ask the question.

You started out with the admission that you couldn't see any reason to do this. Let me remind you, I didn't ask whether you or anyone else thought it should or would be reasonable. Your's is a common attitude that discourages many Linux users from asking questions. It's as though the questioner has to get permission to ask a question. That's nonsense. So the best course of action is simple. If you're not answering the user's question (as stated!), don't respond.

I posted the errors messages. Did you make an effort to explain what those messages are, or why they would occur. No, you didn't. What you did, was to dismiss the question.
> Why would you want to do that? Just use native apache.
 That isn't as much of a question, as much as it is a comment. And the comment was only meant to dismiss the validity of my question. It is an expression that if you can't see a reason, none exists. That's not productive.

Have you installed Apache on Wine yourself? Did you even try to do so? So let me make this easy for you. Here's the link for the version of Apache in question:

> http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.11-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.8i.msi

I started by stating that I can't even get Httpd installed. If you don't see the same error messages, then say so. So look and see if you can even install it. What am I supposed to be responsible for regarding development, when I can't even get the executable installed. I deliberately listed the error messages to find out what's stopping Apache from completely installing.

If you knew that the configuration of Apache is up to the user, why would you list that as a reason not to try, or a cause of concern. I wasn't asking for help in the configuration of Apache. I was asking if it could even be installed. There's no point in talking about running Apache, if you can't even install it.

As far as what developers test, it seems that the most likely applications to be tested, are the ones that are already opensource. If there are applications currently used by Windows users, especially in business environments, it seems to make sense to test those applications with Wine. My concern has been to move businesses over to using Wine for those applications which may have no equivalents in Linux.

The point is to determine the level of confidence that new business users can have about using Wine in Linux for Windows applications. So I'm sorry for being so blunt or confrontational. But I'm simply tired of having my right to ask questions, questioned. I don't do the things most users typically do. So most of my questions don't conform to the norm. I shouldn't have to explain or justify why I ask a question, when the question is as simple as, "can this be done?

If it is possible to prove to Windows users, that they can run business applications, more of those users will feel comfortable switching to Linux. My interest is not with the typical desktop applications. I'm interested in those applications which are available on Sourceforge meant to run on Windows. there are a number of repositories for opensource applications for Windows. I typically test whether those applications can be installed, and whether they would perform as the user would expect them to.

So while you may not see anything from me here on this site, that doesn't mean I'm not engaged. I simply posted this question, because it may be a show stopper for further work.

Shingoshi