[Wine] ABC.com HD video

lgulseth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 13 18:04:31 CST 2009

I cannot seem to get ABC.com HD video to work.  I have a NVIDIA 8500GT video card and I'm running the most up-to-date driver (180.29) from NVIDIA on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit.

My first attempt used WinXP running through VirtualBox. I set the video memory to the highest amount, 128MB and gave it 1GB system memory. When trying to play video, I receive this error message:

"Unfortunately, an error has occurred. Please try again later. If you'd like to tell us about the error, please mention error code: player_'Video':'Unable to create adequate video renderer'
"

The next thing I tried was installing the Windows version of Firefox through Wine. The videos actually appear to play, but I see a black screen and get no audio.

When I attempt to load the player through the Linux Firefox, I see this:

"Oops
Our new video player is only available for:
Windows XP/Vista - Internet Explorer, Firefox
Mac - Firefox, Safari.
To watch, please download the appropriate browser.
"

(gah, stupid ABC.com, why do you require Winderz? UGH!)

The latest attempt used WinXP running through VMWare server 2.0. This gave me the same error as XP in VirtualBox. This leads me to believe the virtual machines are not giving enough of my video resources. I know this computer has plenty of hardware to run the abc.com HD video, it works fine when I boot XP native.

Am I missing something here?  TIA all,

Luther