[Wine] Trying to run Spelunky: OpenGL, Mac OS X and Wine

magicthread wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 16 16:28:28 CST 2009

Hi. I'm an OS X user trying to run a freeware GameMaker game with Wine, and I'm running into some trouble. The game is called Spelunky (available here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0 ). Whenever attempt to run it with Wine, I come across a couple of errors:

err:dmloader:IDirectMusicLoaderImpl_IDirectMusicLoader_SetObject : could not attach stream to file

err:wgl:has_opengl  glx_version is 1.2 and GLX_SGIX_fbconfig extension is unsupported. Expect problems.

Upon this last error, a message comes up in wine (while the game is still loading) saying "Unexpected error occured(sic) when running the game." I get the err:wgl:has_opengl error when attempting to play other games as well (like ikachan (http://www.tinsanity.net/ikachan/), which doesn't trigger an error in the Windows environment but freezes nonetheless and causes Wine to start the debugger).

The only seemingly immediately relevant info I can find is this, from
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=15227 :

Zach wrote:
> OS X's X11 doesn't support GLX 1.3 right now (Which is the minimum version that Wine requires in order to run stuff with OpenGL). So even if you did get it working, you wouldn't be able to get the game to run.

I uninstalled apple's X11 and intsalled XQuartz via macports, and have tried both wine and wine-devel via MacPorts, but both turn up the same errors. I'm still fairly inexperienced with the ins and outs of the terminal and how to compile things but I know enough of the basics to at least get this far (other, non-opengl things work great at least)

The Wine FAQ states

> What does Wine on Mac OS X support? (DirectX, DirectSound, Direct3D...)
> Sound should be working just fine since Wine release 0.9.15. 3D (OpenGL Support) is disabled because of a bug in Apple X11, if you want OpenGL Support turned on refer to the Wine Mac OS X Package Creation Page.

and links to http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building , which makes no mention of how to turn on OpenGL support, but links to the Darwine documentation (http://darwine.sourceforge.net/docs/dev-doc.xml) which doesn't make a mention of OpenGL at all.

So... what should I do? I feel like if I somehow got glx 1.3 this would solve my problem, but I don't know where to start. Is it possible to get opengl support with wine via macports?

Here is my info:

X.org Release 7.3
X.Org X Server 1.4.2-apple31
Build Date: 20090115

wine-1.1.12

most winetricks installed (is there a way I can make a list of which ones are installed? I didn't do the video codecs or apps)