[Wine] L4D crashes reaching in-game, d3d_shader bug maybe?

myromance123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 22 02:29:32 CDT 2009

Hi there, I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, 32-bit.
Now using Wine 1.1.17
Using Ati binary driver 9.2 for x1600 series

I'm experiencing problems with Left 4 Dead. Basically I have sound, and I can get to the main menu no problem using this command (which I found on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=far0jjAlg24).

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/xxxx/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 500 +mat_hdr_level 0 -novid -height 900 -width 1440 -windowed

The first time I ran that code from the terminal I was using Wine 1.0, and I could get to the main menu but there was no sound and it would crash immediately if I tried to go in game be it multiplayer (online) or single player. I tried a second time with Wine 1.0 and using Ati's binary drivers this time, sound worked but I lost all image (just a black screen) so I decided to upgrade to wine 1.1.17

The third time I ran that code was with wine 1.1.17, I reached the main menu with crisp sound ( a very happy moment indeed) but the main problem persisted, although it actually made it for a second or so in-game this time, it would crash in game.

I know posting all the output from the terminal would be useless so I tried to narrow it down to the very last moments before it crashed and this is what the terminal reported:

Code:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #93: "Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.\nWARNING: 0:2: extension 'GL_ARB_draw_buffers' is not supporte"
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #90: "Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked. \nWARNING: 0:2: extension 'GL_ARB_draw_buffers' is not supportedWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [1] has mismatched access semantics between the vertex and fragment shader\nWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [3] has mismatched access semanti"...

I originally posted in Ubuntu forums so I wouldn't bother others here, but they referred me to these forums since it seems to be explicitly a Wine related problem.

I am using an original version of Left 4 Dead and Steam runs fine.
I also tried running HL2 Deathmatch with this version of Wine and it actually runs compared to v1.0 (in my experience) but the characters are deformed (polygons stretched beyond the map), maybe this co relates to L4D above?

I only mentioned HL2's problem as it may provide a solution someone already knows to the problem I'm having with Left 4 Dead.

Any possible help is appreciated, and yes I have referenced the AppDB and quite a few have gotten the game running (especially with Wine 1.1.17).