[Wine] How to find why application does not run

James E. Lang jim at lang.hm
Sun Oct 25 06:02:07 CDT 2009

--On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 07:21:40 AM -0700 James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Thank you Mr. McKenzie.
>>
>> The e-Sword version is 9.51
>
> I will have to get this version as I am the maintainer for the Applications
> Database.  Please post your testing results there so that I can update the
> entry.  I have been working on a particular function within one of the dlls
> that is required by e-Sword to display text.  Unfortunately, my job and one
> of my hobbies, bicycle riding, forced me to stop work on this for almost a
> year.  I am quickly catching up to the most current version of Wine
> development to get this function incorporated into Wine.
>
> I have not been able to use map graphics with most versions of e-Sword,
> could you try this as well.

First, I have succeeded in getting e-Sword to run under Wine. To do so I copied
mfc42.dll from Windows Vista (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MFC42.DLL) to
~/.wine/device_c/windows/system32/mfc42.dll and found that was all that was
needed to get it to run. Is anything being done to create a native Wine version
of mfc42.dll?

As you state, the graphics portions (e.g. abs, classic, and timelines) of
e-Sword do not work. I get empty e-Sword Graphics Viewer panels. I will have to
run from a terminal session to see if there are any error or warning messages
displayed by Wine during execution of e-Sword. I'll try to get around to that
in the next day or three.

I have downloaded and installed these nine modules from e-Sword:

setup951.exe	 metre.exe	creeds.exe	abs.exe	timelines.exe
classic.exe		jps.exe			litv.exe		esv.exe

The various Bible translations (e.g. kjv, esv, jps, litv) appear to be working
flawlessly.

--
Jim