[Wine] Wine 64 bits relying on 32 bit opengl implementation

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Tue Oct 27 12:18:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 18:26, qdii <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> vitamin : I'm not sure what you mean with "you can't". My idea was that Wine was "reading" a PE file, and handling Windows answers to its calls. If I'm right, Wine should be able to use 64-bit OpenGL no ?
>
> But maybe your "you can't" simply says that : I can't, because Wine hasn't been conceived this way. Then this is my other question :
> - is it possible to have a true 64-bit wine ( compiled with -m64 ) ?
> - if yes, why not make it call 64-bit library ?

Yes, you can have a 64-bit Wine... Compile with --enable-win64...

It will call 64-bit libraries, but it won't run Win32 applications....
(Although it seemed that an option exists to enable WOW64-like
behaviour last time I tried to compile it... AFAIK, this should allow
64-bit Wine to start 32-bit Wine for 32-bit applications... I have NO
idea if this works at all...)

AFAIK, you can't run 32-bit code directly in long mode, not sure if a
practical option exists to allow interaction between Long mode code
and compatibility mode code.... (On the CPU... The OS infrastructure
to allow that would probably be an issues as well..)

The situation is the same in 64-bit Windows. 64-bit Internet explorer
can't use 32-bit flash, 64-bit media apps require 64-bit codecs...

This might make a nice combined 32-bit and 64-bit OS a lot easier to
acheive... (One set of files supporting both 64-bit and 32-bit...)
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/157182-fatelf-to-bring-universal-binaries-to-linux
http://icculus.org/fatelf/

Gert