[Wine] Re: Wine not starting/Wine config not starting

hellork wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 16 15:20:38 CDT 2010

SquALeD wrote:
>  ...SNIPPED...
> If I run winecfg in the terminal I get this output:
>
> X Error of failed request:  XF86VidModeExtensionDisabled
>   Major opcode of failed request:  129 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines)
>   Serial number of failed request:  85
> X Error of failed request:  XF86VidModeExtensionDisabled
>   Major opcode of failed request:  129 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines)
>   Serial number of failed request:  85
>
> Whats actually supposed to happen?  [Question]
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference but I run my Ubuntu box in my workshop headless (Sorta 24/7 torrent/media streamer box) and VNC into it every now and then from a PPC Mac so no monitor. Would this make a difference? Can you even run Wine over a VNC??...SNIPPED...

Not really. Wine needs OpenGL. However, it will work with VirtualGL or xf4vnc which supports OpenGL calls, but it's slow, unless you use the option where your local video card does the rendering and sends the desktop as a video stream, but even that's slow because of all the desktop captures going on. I thought they were supposed to accelerate the video capture using the recent, as of at least most video cards support it, GLX_texture_from_pixmap, but anyway, maybe it works better now. I haven't tried it in ages.

I'm rambling. This reference is more up to date.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualGL