[Wine] Launching Source engine games results in crash, small res

DarksideEE7 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 21 02:29:24 CDT 2010

Well I'm able to get Steam running fine, however I've tried to play the following:
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Counter-strike Source
Portal

When I try to launch Source based games the screen goes black and then it resizes the resolution to something like 1024x600.

I am able to get the Left 4 Dead intro movie to play with this script:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine.steam wine /home/l33/.wine.steam/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/left\ 4\ dead/left4dead.exe

I've tried it in KDE with compositing off or on.  My preferred method of gaming is running a separate X server on DISPLAY :1 by putting the above WINEPREFIX command in a script name l4d.wine, then making another script:

xinit /home/l33/scripts/l4d.wine -- :1

My openGL performance is decent in the unigine heaven benchmark, so I know my drivers are working to some degree...just not in DirectX.

I have the latest Catalyst 9.7 fglrx with a 4870X2 in Arch Linux x86_64.

Thanks in advance.