[Wine] "running wineinstall as root" error - Mac OS X

SonicLover wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 22 12:28:11 CST 2010

I run Mac OS X 10.6.5.  There are a bunch of Windows programs I would very much like to run, and my latest OS update broke my copy of CrossOver Games, so I decided to get Wine.

None of the ten binary download packages on the download page said Mac anywhere on them, so I decided I would have to download the source code and run from the command line.  I don't like this, since I'm not extremely tech savvy; I don't know half of what I can probably do from the command line.

The readme file says:
> Whenever you compile from source, it is recommended to use the Wine
> Installer to build and install Wine.  From the top-level directory
> of the Wine source (which contains this file), run:
>
> ./tools/wineinstall

So I type:
> cd /Users/hill/Desktop/Warehouse/wine-1.2.2

This works (I confirm it with an ls call).  Then this exchange occurs:

> Macintosh-265:wine-1.2.2 hill$ ./tools/wineinstall
> Wine Installer v1.0
>
> You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as a user.
> Aborting.
I did exactly as I was told and I hit a wall!  I have no idea what to do at this point.  I used Google to look for the error message I got, but couldn't make heads or tails of any of the results.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated... I have hardly any idea what I'm doing.