[Wine] How do I make wine run for non root users?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 06:12:53 CST 2010

On 12/30/10 1:58 AM, Secured wrote:
> oiaohm wrote:
>> The ownership of that file was most likely wrong.  Owner being root instead of your user.
> Yep!  Checked the properties, and the owner of the file is root.
> Now, what do I do to the file to remove or change its permissions?
> Since the file was cp straight from windows, would that be a bad
> idea to change the permission or ownership?

Two questions, one answer:

1.  Does this program require the use of an installation program?  If it
does, use it.
2.  What user did you use to copy the program?  If it was root, go back
and remove the program and do this with a regular user.  DO NOT DO
ANYTHING WITH WINE AS ROOT!  (There are exceptions, read the FAQ.)

1.  Anwer:  open a terminal session and type in man chown.  This is IF
the program does not require an installer.  If it does, see item #1 above.

James McKenzie