[Wine] binding to privileged Linux ports (<= 1024)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Feb 6 18:22:46 CST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 13:25 -0600, mc2718 wrote:
> I have to have this functionality in order to take part in a Flash
> development project. The project environment is unfortunately not
> under my control - I need 843 for the Flash policy server and 80 for a
> local ONLY web server, so that I can run the tools and examples I need
> to build on. Life is life.
>
> Do I set the capability on wine itself? Will the other windows goodies
> (exe files, etc) then inherit those?

If you write a Linux wrapper that sets the capabilities appropriately
and then execs Wine with the execve() function Wine will inherit the
capabilities, but can only pass them to your process if it uses execve()
to launch Windows programs.

If none of the Wine devs[*] supply the answer you'd best look at its
source to see what it does and raise a bug if it doesn't use execve() to
launch Windows programs.

[*] disclaimer: I am not a wine dev and haven't seen its source. Since
Wine runs the apps I need I'm not planning to read its source anytime
soon.

Martin