[Wine] Re: how to disable root / filesystem access

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jan 23 00:52:05 CST 2010

DaVince wrote:
> Wine already acts "like Windows" whether or not access to / is given...
>
> The real question is - does it pose a new security issue? Removing Z: used to effectively sandbox your Wine system so it can't access things outside ~/.wine, but I just managed to open something in /etc without any problem whatsoever, so this sandboxing seems to be gone now. I agree that this should be 'fixed' when the user removes the Z drive (don't think it's possible in current Wine).

It never sandboxed anything, even if you removed Z: it has always been possible to circumvent that if the app knows it's running on Wine.  To say that is sandboxing is an incorrect use of the word.  If you need to run untrusted software in a "sandbox" environment, you need to use something like qemu, but there are even risks with that.