[Wine] Need help to get LCDHype flying with Parallel-Port

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jan 26 07:27:12 CST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 06:46 -0600, lsmod wrote:
> 1) When the application will run in "Windows ME" emulation it would be the easiest
>    way to do this.
>    But i have seen more problems than in the "Windows 2000" emulation.
>
> 2) I asked to change the testprogram, so i hope we can test this.
>
> 3) Every workaround is really far away from the original application and should be
>    the last option. The goal was to use the existing engine and drivers to access
>    an graphic LCD-display. If there is much to do in Linux stuff, it would be
>    better to develope in the real linux project.
>    http://ssl.bulix.org/projects/lcd4linux/

Yes, I would agree. Have you looked at porting LCDHype to Linux?

BTW, the lcd4linux website says that using /dev/lp* doesn't work, so you
should try using /dev/parport* instead. Note that some distros
use /dev/parports/* while others, such as Fedora, use /dev/parport*

> Another question:
> Normally there is shown important system information on an LCD-Display.
> This information is normally grabbed via the Windows "performance helper api".
> In Linux nearly all of this information can be grabbed via shell commands from the system.
> Is it possible to submit a shell command in wine and fetch the output?

It should also be available via the /proc pseudo-file system. By default
drive z: is a symlink to /, so you can access /proc as z:\proc from
Wine. You can't see it in winefile for some reason and running 'dir' in
wine's command shell doesn't show it, but this Wine shell command works:

Z:\>type z:\proc\version
Linux version 2.6.27.41-170.2.117.fc10.i686
(mockbuild at x86-1.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.3.2 20081105 (Red
Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Thu Dec 10 11:00:29 EST 2009

Z:\>

This means that you should be able to open the pseudo files in /proc
from  a Wine application and read their contents, which will give you
much of the system information that Linux utility programs can show.

It is also possible to run Linux programs via a shell: look in the Wine
wiki for details.

Martin