[Wine] Wine incorrectly appends ".so" to the libraries it loads

Negatratoron wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 17 19:59:49 CDT 2010

The problem itself is that Sins of a Solar Empire does not run under Wine, but I am quite confident that appending an extra ".so" is what's causing this game to crash, so I just made that the subject to hopefully get better results.

I'm using Wine 1.2 on both my desktop computer and my laptop.  Sins of a Solar Empire works on the desktop, but not the laptop.  I started with a fresh .wine directory in both.  On the laptop, the game just crashes and Sins of a Solar Empire spits out a memory dump.

Running wine with WINEDEBUG=warn+all indicates that wine incorrectly adds ".so" to the file names of the libraries it looks for.  This results in errors like this:

Code:

warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin L"ntdll.dll.so": /usr/local/bin/../lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've pasted the full output of wine on the laptop trying to run Sins of a Solar Empire:
http://pastebin.com/qqKVKT58
The excerpt above is from line 1375 and other libraries fail the same way in the lines around it.

Another game, Descent 3, runs flawlessly on the laptop.  I do not know what to make of this.

Thanks and all.