[Wine] Native libpq.so instead of libpq.dll?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 21:24:41 CDT 2010

Cigydd wrote:
>> No. Wine implements win32 API on top of POSIX, Xorg, and few more APIs.
>>

> A bit lost here. This I already know and agree but what's then the principial difference between the mentioned "shim" library and WINE beside the amount of code?
> Is it that the library would convert the Win32 calls to that of the ELF library and manage thread synchronization etc. but WINE doesn't convert, manage or synchronize anything - it just implements what the Win32 applications are trying to call, so the whole Win32 API…?

That is the goal and has been for many years (15+). Wine would allow you
to take a Windows32/Windows64 program and without any changes, install
it on top of Linux/Wine and run it as if it were a native program.

If you want to develop cross platform, you have to use a different
method. Cygwin/Mingwin are for moving UNIX/Linux code to Windows32/64.
.NET/Mono is for moving .NET 1.1/20./3.0 code from Windows32 to a
properly equipped UNIX/Linux/MacOSX environment. Of course, compilation
efforts must be expended and the code must be proper...

James McKenzie