[Wine] The perils of GMAX

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Mon Jul 19 20:43:00 CDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 11:17 AM, A Nonny Moose wrote:
> Thanks, Bryan.  I'll bet there was a time when we could have made beautiful scripts together.  I learned UNIX when I was working on staff at the University of Waterloo for a couple of years.  I needed a break.  This was in 1980, and when I left, I went back to sales support on main frames, so there wasn't much scripting there.
>
> When I started out, the Byte hadn't been invented by the It  Beats Me company.  That happened the year we were evaluating the first main frame for the bank I was working for at the time.  The I've Been Moved company interfered with the board of directors and got a year's delay so they could announce the /360, but it didn't do any good.  We now really needed the machine, and the /360 wasn't deliverable at the time of the announcement.  We went with NCR because they had a lot of American banks already and had drivers we needed for the cheque sorters.
>
> So, I go back a long, long way.  Microcomputers?  What?  You've got to be kidding.  [Laughing]

My first computer was a PC clone with the Intel 8088 processor.
Glorified calculator. It had two 5.25" floppy drives. Later, I expanded
and put in a 5.25" HDD with 20MB. 20MB! (-:

I learned scripting GW-Basic on that thing when I was 13 years. I only
discovered that language because my Dad got a huge batch of free
software and public domain stuff from the nearby University, and I quite
liked a version of the game Star Trek that was implemented in GW-Basic.
At the time, I didn't know what a complier or build system was or that I
needed one, so I never discovered DJGPP. Microsoft certainly wasn't
telling tales and didn't include a build system with their limey DOS.
Instead I became on artist and studied drawing, painting, sculpture,
aesthetics, art history, etc etc.

About eight years or so ago, I got back into computers during the XP
era. Shortly thereafter which I discovered Debian Sarge, and made my
first GNU+Linux installation. I escaped Microsoft forever and used
Debian based systems for a few years. Due to a mixture of their politics
and packaging system, I switched to Archlinux and have used nothing else
since. Now I work as a support consultant for an international free
software developer and I am designing a custom build system to create
GNU+Linux from Source Code (GLFSC). (-:

Now I am a full time free software programmer/support tech who can draw
or paint anything he sees or imagines. Funny how the world works, no?