[Wine] Trying to Get EMBIRD32 Working Under Wine

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sun Jun 6 23:14:30 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 04:28, oldefoxx <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> root at ubuntu-l355:~/.wine# dir

You shouldn't be running Wine as root...

(And the home directory (often represented with ~ or $HOME) differ
between users...) Depending on how you got running as root, you might
need to delete your ~/.wine if the permissions got messed up. (If "su
-" was used, root should have its own ~/.wine in /root/.wine)

Here is a less destructive way to fix permissions:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-f60a1aeeb2e4ef08a9b26dd38fd4ea2b1608f358
(also read entry 7.11)

Deleting ~/.wine and starting over will get rid of any problems you
have with the "Updating" message as well (although that might be due
to permissions....)

>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> wine1.2: Conflicts: wine1.0 but 1.0.1-0ubuntu13 is to be installed
> wine1.2-dev: Conflicts: wine1.0-dev but 1.0.1-0ubuntu13 is to be installed
> wine1.2-gecko: Conflicts: wine1.0-gecko but 0.1.0-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

You should be using the wine-1.2 packages (after following the
instructions on the Wine download page to get the Wine PPA added). The
1.0.1 version is almost 2 years old and lots of things have been fixed
since then.

(As far as I know, the "wine" package depends on the right things
(Wine 1.2) after the update. Try removing all Wine packages (it should
uninstall applications installed under Wine) and installing the Wine
packaage (after setting up the PPA as per the instructions on the
download page))

Also based on that backtrace, it looks like a 16 bit application...

> Alright.  I copied the EMBIRD32 folder from the Windows client over to /hom/oldefoxx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/. I  mean I did not plqn to put it precisely there, but that is where it ended up.  I planned to just leave it in drive_c, but I guess drive_c became c: on its own.  Something strange there.

/home/oldefoxx/.wine/dosdevices/c: is ussually a symbolic link that
points to ~/.wine/drive_c. Have a look with ls -l rather than dir...

Is there a demo download of the older version available somewhere?