[Wine] Is it possible to configure OpenGL software rendering?

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 01:45:13 CDT 2010

> So: can I enforce the use of software opengl renderin instead of hardware rendering? If yes: how can i configure this?

On OS X (as with Mesa-based drivers I believe) you should be able to force OpenGL software rendering with an environment variable

  export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
  ./your_program

Or:

  env LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 /path/to/your_program

The LIBGL_ALLOW_SOFTWARE setting may also work for you as it allows fallback to software rendering, but I've never found it to work as reliably as defaulting to hardware or forcing software rendering. Not sure how this will play with Wine but software rendering is a performance killer, and software renderers may or may not support the features the program needs even if they support the "right" OpenGL version. -ryan