[Wine] Program looking for dll's

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 20 20:13:42 CDT 2010

  On 9/20/10 5:01 PM, jordan wrote:
> Hi
>> I installed wine on ubuntu 10.04.  I then installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware.  When I go to run it I gat the following  error.
>> david at david-ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Emsisoft Anti-Malware$ wine a2cmd.exe
>> fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33fc6c) using GetSystemInfo()
>> fixme:service:QueryServiceObjectSecurity 0x13b768 4 0x1e2e8ec 0 0x1e2e8d8 - semi-stub
>> fixme:service:QueryServiceObjectSecurity 0x13b768 4 0x13b7d8 28 0x1e2e8d8 - semi-stub
>> fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x32f914) using GetSystemInfo()
>> Emsisoft Commandline Scanner v.
>> (C) 2003-2010 Emsi Software GmbH - www.emsisoft.com
>> Program error: The required file engine.dll can not be found.
>> Please go to www.emsisoft.com and download the latest software package.
>> Program error: The required file a2update.dll can not be found.
>> Please go to www.emsisoft.com and download the latest software package.
>> These dll's are in the program directory. I also placed them in the system32 directory with no luck.  I read somewhere where this program runs in wine perfectly.  Any help would be appreciated.
> You probably need to use winecfg, and set those 2 .dll as "builtin",
> then it should work(if it's going to work)..However, that being said,
> i did read a thread on that companies forum, about people not being
> able to get it to work properly, and problems with updates. While on
> person claimed it worked fine.
This should fix the problem.  However, a little research of the
Applications Database would be in order as well.  If this does work, the
Applications Database entry needs to be updated.
> A question for you: why do you need Anti-malware. I have never had
> problems with Wine/malware.  I could only see this being a problem if
> you are using internet explorer, instead of a Linux web-browser. or if
> you are a mega software pirate, who doesn't pay attention when
> downloading suspicious content.... it seems like overkill to me....
Because malware will work with Wine in most cases as if it were
Windows.  Also, it always pays to be protective.

James McKenzie