[Wine] Re: wine cannot find L "c:/windows/system32/plugplay.exe

bflojoe6 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 2 10:58:28 CDT 2011

OK. But I'm having trouble installing apps via Wine. Following the Ubuntu Documentation directions, I download a Windowss app (USMoneyDixSunset.exe) and save it to my Desktop (I'm using Firefox & Chrome browsers and perhaps I need to use IE? for Microsoft apps?). Then I open a Terminal and change to Desktop directory. I then type "wine USMoneyDixSunset.exe" (without the quotes of course) and I get: "wine cannot find L "C:\\windws\\system32\\USMoneyDixSunset.exe"  I don't know why wine looks in that folder instead of on the desktop? Again, I'm using the wine 1.2.2 that came with Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). I noticed that when I installed wine via SPM, the hidden /.wine folder was established as it was supposed to. But there appears to be 2 locations for drive c:

/home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c (which contains pgm files, users, windows)
                                and
/home/user.wine
           dos devices (c  d  e  z)
           drive c (pgm files, users, windows)

Is this a problem with installing wine or is this how it should be? Thanks for your patience. I'd love to get the MM Sunset program working so I can leave Windows forever!