[Wine] Alsa: underrun occured

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:15:17 CDT 2011

hi,

> The fact is Ubuntu switched to PulseAudio starting with 8.04 and is
> providing Alsa/OSS compatibility ever since.
> So Alsa is probably not Canonical's main center of interest.

erm.... Alsa is always going to be of main concern of ANY distribution
of Linux.  PA doesn't replace ALSA, it just runs on top of it.
ALSA talks directly to hardware(@ thekernel level)... Applications
talk to PA(if using pulseaudio), then PA talks to ALSA. PA is just a
sound server, and resides in user-space. PA, Jack, etc aren't
replacements for ALSA - they work with ALSA.

So what you are saying here, is making little or no sense at all.

> I've not been able to make OSS work in 10.10 (or jack) though so I'm
> stuck with alsa/PA compatibility issues.

Really??  OSS is a waste of time (and a pretty much dead-project).
Jack is only useful in wine if you are running ASIO applications, for
pro audio type applications. I don't think it works well (if at all)
for any other general use in wine. (someone can correct me if im wrong
here).

> My first recommandation would be to try upgrading to 10.10 (or testing
> from a live cd) and check if the problem is still existing.

I would recommend that too.  But Myself, I dislike PA to the point,
that it is never installed on any system that i use.

If PA is removed properly, All Wine apps should have sound through
ALSA (by selecting the ALSA driver in winecfg). If you are still
getting xruns/underruns being reported from alsa, than you probably
need a bigger buffer for ALSA. underruns indicate that the sound from
your application didn't make it to the soundcard on time. A larger
buffer will help with the problem, as it will allow it more time to
get to it's destination. make sense?  The only other issue may be the
application's sound doesn't work well in wine.

as for how to do this, i don't remember off hand, but it shouldn't be
difficult - you will probably need to google. I don't use Ubuntu, and
i can choose whether or not PA is installed. In my case, by default
when i install Gnome - pulseaudio isn't pulled as a dependency, and
therefor is not installed.

There was a message on the Wine list (semi-recently) dealing with
underruns, that showed how to adjust ALSA's buffers,  but i deleted it
from my inbox. sorry.

there's my 2 cents.

jordan