[Wine] noob:Can't get IL-2/1946 to run!

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Apr 27 16:31:51 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 16:03 -0500, farna wrote:
> Thanks James! Will try your recommendations. The changing permissions
> is something in Ubuntu 10.10 -- has to do with the executable bit.
> Ubuntu 10.10 won't let you change the executable bit in a Windows .exe
> file unless you're signed in as the administrator. I don't think it
> will allow changing that bit in Linux files unless signed in as admin
> either.

What, not even if you own the file?

Does "sudo chmod u+x exe_file" work?

If sudo won't run chmod, you can fix that by editing the sudoers file
with visudo, but be sure to read the visudo and sudoers man pages before
you try that.

> Linux (at least Ubuntu) is starting to get more and more like Windows
> as far as locking users out of their own system.

I think thats a deliberate Ubuntu policy - make it more like Windows, I
mean. Ubuntu has always diverged in small ways from the mainstream
distros and is getting much further away with its new Unity desktop.
However no worries, you can always try a different distro, e.g. Fedora
(a full-fat Gnome distro) or even go back to Debian, the base distro for
Ubuntu instead of just installing the next Ubunto version.

Martin